Life is beautiful whether you're soaking in sunshine or caught in a thunderstorm. I take the beauty of life for granted too often. I have a supportive husband who I don't want to live life without, a beautiful son who is always reminding me of the simple things that really matter, and an independent daughter who is teaching me to throw schedules out the window and live in the moment. My day is made when free samples fill my mailbox. I love discovering a new product and sharing it with others. I hope you will enjoy reading my posts and will share your stories with me as well.
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Pumpkin Roll Recipe
Mike has Community Corner at his work the 3rd Tuesday of every month and Coffee Club the 2nd Wednesday of each month. I get to make all the food for these events! I love cooking and baking so it's a lot of fun for me along with trying out new recipes. On the menu for today is Pumpkin Roll and Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars. MMMmmmmmm! I love pumpkin anything! I told him to only expect half of the pumpkin roll because the other half I'm saving for myself. LOL
PUMPKIN ROLL RECIPE
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
powdered sugar (needed for a towel, to keep the cake from sticking)
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
powdered sugar for topping
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and lemon juice.
2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well blended.
4. Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray. (I've noticed that the cake falls out better if you spread butter on the sheet instead of the spray) Pour the batter onto the cookie sheet and spread evenly.
5. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Prepare a kitchen towel be sprinkling heavily with powdered sugar.
7. After baking, turn the cookie sheet onto the towel, the cake should slide out onto the towel. Starting at one end, roll up the cake into the towel. Cool 30-40 minutes.
8. For the filling, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and butter until well mixed.
9. After the roll has cooled, unroll it and spread the filling evenly. Roll back up without the towel. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour, or until filling is firm.
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.